SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on a Caribbean Cruiser
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Advice on a Caribbean Cruiser

I have spent a few days going over old posts here and at cruisingworld, and thought I'd seek some advice.

We are planning to take a year to sail around the Caribbean, starting in the summer of 204.

So here is the problem, we need something that is roomy inside, we have 3 boys, which would imply more of a cruiser. But one option we are strongly considering is the Carib 1500 ARC to get down there in november. So I need a boat that can manage this 1500 mile trip.

The tension is between boats that are more blue water orientated tend to be smaller inside, and bigger interior cruisers let capable in the open sea.

Another issue would be I would need something relatively easy to sail. My experience to date has been a couple of charters ~40' and a few years great lake sailing on ~30 boats. Also not much of a mechanic so reluctant to go too old a boat.

Last but not least, have a budget of $50k including any needed refits and upgrades.

This is based on getting a boat in the North East, outfitting and provisioning p here and then sailing down. Another option would be to buy a boat that's already down there, but much of the same applies to get it back (or to re-sell)

Been trawling Yachtworld for months, nothing has leapt out at me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook