SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alternator wiring issue...
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Alternator wiring issue...

Gents.. When we bought our boat it had what I was told was a 'home made' alternator field current controller (a PPO was an electrical engineer)- with an off/on switch, an adjustment pot. I don't think it actually functioned as we have an alternator charge current meter and were unable to 'see' any change. btw one of the wires involved in this scheme actually 'entered' the body of the alternator - not on any factory connection.

When we had our alternator upgraded and overhauled the shop said just to leave that field wire disconnected, that it was now ineffective and not needed (same could be said for the 'controller', I guess)

We are just about to order and install a Balmar 614 smart reg, and I wanted to fully suss out what was 'there', and the drawing below reflects what I think I've found.

From my internet searching it seems I only really need the output line, and the tach line and the blue D wire, which I assume to be the field and which is now common with the B+. I'm not charging very efficiently and I'm now wondering if part of the issue is this setup (initially to accommodate the 'controller') I even have a hand drawn schematic of that device, it's still in place but 'turned off' and disconnected at the alternator. Seems I should be able to simply remove everything associated with that old controller - but what about the blue wire? I'm assuming the Balmar will make use of it separately?

Gotta love years-old mickey duck wiring schemes......

Any ideas? I guess my main questions are:

1. Is this setup as shown (that's what's there now) a workable one?

2. Should I just cut out everything associated with the 'controller'?

3. Any other issues wrt to wiring in the Balmar?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-23-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook