SailNet Community - View Single Post - The boy behind the gate (new book)
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013

sfsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: The boy behind the gate (new book)

Hi David,
The new hydraulic autopilot never failed. But a plate cracked that was now overpowered by the hydraulic ram--was an easy fix. It was a Raymarine electronics and honestly, i can't for the life of me, remember the brand but we bought it from NavStation in Auckland, NZ. They were awesome and had sourced the best ram, motor, electronics and put it together as a package. The Kiwis know their stuff! I wouldn't go again without a wind vane. Our problem was that our dinghy was in the way but somehow we should have made a workaround.
The Scuba compressor was a Bauer and was amazingly reliable. Took about 15 minutes per tank, or 1.5 cocktails We also had a Hooka for cleaning the hull that ran off of a tank of air. It was useful for cleaning the boat. However, we are true divers so it wasn't uncommon for us to hang out at 60-90 feet where the hooka would not work.
The most reliable piece of gear onboard was our Spectra water maker. Great brand, great company with superb service.
Once RayMarine got wind of our circumnavigation, their service level for electronics shot way up and we were assigned to someone who helped us repeatedly and took a personal interest in us.
Sidebar: Re Insurance. The best company we found overall was Pantaenius in Frankfurt, Germany. Best prices, beat LLoyd's by a mile and great service. Once we got back to the US, of course we had to have a US company, and they have a NY office as well with good service, but of course prices go up when you come back to US waters.
Cheers!
Larry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook