SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on a Caribbean Cruiser
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice on a Caribbean Cruiser

OK, you are going to like none of this.

Forget the Carib 1500. IMHO its nuts even for a well found vessel with an experienced crew. I have helped out vessels that have been on this trip and the stories are "interesting", in the Chinese sense of the world.

I presume that your plan would be to buy a boat for $50K and sell it after a year for +/- $50K. Ooookay. How much of the $50K are you prepared to loose?

One year in the Caribbean. I did it in two and it was rushed AND I started in the Caribbean. Consider just doing the Bahamas.

Now the good news; One family I know managed to "borrow" a 42ft boat from an owner who was not using it, for the price of a number of "upgrades". They were at pains to point out that it was NOT a charter because of legal implications. It worked out very well for them. It would require a hell of a lot of trust on both sides as well as some legal advice. I'm not sure what it cost them but I would imagine you should plan to drop $10-20K on the upgrades and fully insure the vessel, have before and after surveys etc. Its a long shot finding the right owner.

Best of luck with your plans

Gerry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook