SailNet Community - View Single Post - Greece Bareboat - Need recommendations on regions and charter companies
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013

drgtmartin is on a distinguished road
Re: Greece Bareboat - Need recommendations on regions and charter companies

My wife and I and crew just chartered in Greece back in October. You can read the travel blog entry and details at:

projectmojito . wordpress . com/2012/10/

The short of it is that we used latesail.com as a broker and we ended up using Navigare our of Lavrion, which is just north east of Athens. Lavrion is a better jumping off point if you are planning to do the Cyclades, which is what we did. The town is an easy bus ride from the Athens airport. We really liked Navigare. They were very professional and helpful.

Note that when chartering in Greece, documented proof of sailing competency is required by the Greek authorities and the charter companies. Also, Greece requires that you have a “second skipper” in case something happens to the first skipper. The second skipper must also have sailing credentials, RYA, ASA, USSA, etc. We had CYA certification.

Note that a week is just enough to visit only the northern Cyclades. We made is as far south as Mykonos and back in a week with 25-45 nm of sailing per day. The crew very much liked Kea, Kynthos, Tinos and, of course, Mykonos,
I would skip Gavrion, Andros if I did it again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook