SailNet Community - View Single Post - My first day sailer. What do you pack in yours?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013

cjlmia is on a distinguished road
Re: My first day sailer. What do you pack in yours?

That boat looks like a lot of fun, I think you've got a great match for your use case A couple thoughts:

If you're concerned about damaging the bottom when beaching or island hopping, it may be worth it to have something installed along the bottom (like a keelshield or just a couple strips of aluminum or extra patch of fiberglass) so that you are comfortable with just running aground on gravel and sand. That is certainly part of the fun for my kids and I when we put the sailing rig on our dinghy Running aground deliberately in a boat that can easily do it is a bit of a joy, compared to accidentally running aground in a bigger boat where you have to fight tooth and nail to get her free again! If you are comfortable riding right up on an island you could also leave the anchor at home if you are looking for extra space aboard.

I always used a gallon jug with the top quarter cut out as a "bilge pump"... call me old fashioned, but it works and is easy on space for a small boat

Between sails and a brand new motor you should be well covered for auxiliary options, you could probably get by with a folding paddle, after all you've got sails and new outboard.

I think you're in for good times... congratulations!

Last edited by cjlmia; 02-23-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: changed paddle thoughts, I think it may be a coast guard requirement
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook