SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting ahead of myself
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Getting ahead of myself

Yeah that Delaware River Bay trip is usally the lowlight of our trip to and from the Chessie to the LI Sound every year. If the greenheads dont get you, then the square waves on the Delaware Bay at 3 second intervals do. Travelking in the AM is an advantage unless of weather fronts as the predominant S/SE winds on shore from the Ocean dont start piping up gradually down near the Bay till noon or 1 PM

6 AM is a good start time.

Looking at the tides/ current, Slack begins at Delaware city at about 9 AM So you will be running into the ever weakening current for about 2/1/2 hours. Expect to make about 12 miles before the current hits slack for you between bouys 8LRed and 6LRed or paralell to Phillips Creek in NJ.

from there you will get the current with you will make 7+ knots. You have 37 miles to go to the entrance to the Cape May Canal or approximently 5.5 hours. At 1 PM the tide turns at the Miah Maul Lighthouse, but in the lower bay the current isnt as strong as in the River area. At 1 Pm You will already have passed the Miah Maul and be headed directly to the Canal entrance. You should get there about 2:30 and into Cape May anchorage or Utches ablout 3:30.

As you get closer to leaving I can give my route with degree settings for you to use as a guide so you dont waste time/ distance. I have in my chartplotter as it is not necessary to go bouy to bouy down the Delaware ( I cut the angles and save distance) and you want to stay out of the main shipping channel. The ships are moving often times at 25 knots, so while they look a distance away they come up on you very fast.

You will be main motoring the entire time probably unless you have 15-20 out of the N or NW

Your trip up the Bay will be long days. Puatuxet- 48 miles ( Solomons first Day). If you want to make Delaware City then you need to get to Rock Hall- 49 miles the second...and Delaware City- 49 miles the third . On March 17 The C&D Canal ( about 16 miles long ) You will be fighting the current about 2 knots until 7 PM ( Eastern entrance) It will take you close to 3.5 hours to get through the Canal. If you leave Rock Hall at 6 AM you will hit the Bohemia River - 34 miles at noon. You will have some slight current for about 11/2 more hours so you may be able to make Chesapeak City about 4 miles in the Canal by 1:30. Figure on 4- 5 hours from there to Delaware City since you will be bucking a 2+ knot current.

Should be fun...and long days. Take extra fuel filters and belts at a minimum..

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-24-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook