SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Even though I have stated all the reasons why younger people dont take the risk I will state again.

I just recently turned 29. My sailing student is 25 and. My last trip consisted of all people under 30. There is a good amount but not enough.

Far as cruising goes its not in the cards for me right now. I have a family to raise and when that is over with I will go as far and my heart desires I travel and not a nautical mile further nor shorter.

Truth is a lot of people under 30 would love to spend more time on boats. I know this because Ive tried to get a lot of them to go.... often times they just wont go. There is always a reason why but who am I to judge what is a reason and what is an excuse? Who am I to decide for another what is more important?

Truth is owning a boat is a lot of work. Sure I could schlep it around like the trailer park queen and not work on my vessel and just do the minimum to keep it floating... I think we all know what happens to vessels like that. Ive helped bring them up from the bottom of the harbor before.

I am selling one of my other loves and long time passions. My motorcycle project. If the buyer doesnt flake out on me I will finally have the money to get some very needed upgrades handled on my vessel. You know **** like the rest of my paint, my motor maitnence and.... running water.

Working on ones boat is often done alone and presents its own set of challenges but hey, its not stopping me. That doesnt make it less gripe worthy and I am sure a good number of you other skippers know how hard it is to get people to put in 'time before the mast' when theres greasy or dirty work to be done.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook