SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bavaria 44 refit
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013

nmit5903 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bavaria 44 refit

Not sure where to start however I would be disinclined to take on any vessel that wasn't dry unless I was absolutely certain as to we here the water was coming in. The design of the hull allows water to sit in the bilge between the stringers which makes tracing the source incredibly difficult in my view - there are any number of placed water can come in - hatches sounds too easy.
I knew the 44 before buying the second boat and she was dry - therefore all my work was focused on the rigging, motor/sail drive, upgrading electrics and instrumentation + the Davits.
I did nothing - all work was professionally carried out and whilst perhaps on a good day I could do some of it, it's not worth the risk if getting ready for a long trip. It's a long story, perhaps for another time however the fellow that bought her set sail for Tasmania and abandoned ship in 100' seas and 70knot winds - she set a passage for NZ from the Bass Strait crewless and was eventually delivered home safely by a crew dropped some 3-4 days later - virtually no damage despite the severe conditions.
I am happy to send you a list of all the work I had commissioned however as a guide I spent approx 40% of the final sale value and I think the buyer got a very good deal. I spent close to $80k on the refit and there was probably another $20k to go on new covers to really make her ready for a trip (ie $100k all up).
If the boat you are looking at is wet inside and hull/deck in poor condition I would really think carefully and allow probably at least another $20k - taking the toe rails off and resealing the deck/hull join is a big job in itself and gelcoat repairs are not cheap if done well.
I you havnt carried out or commissioned a refit before assume it will take 2-3 times longer and cost up to 50% more than budget to allow for unforeseen things - based on my experience and others I have spoken to, you will be very lucky to get away with anything less.
I hope this is helpful. If you would like more details or chat on Skype some time - happy to do so.
Cheers
nmit5903
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook