SailNet Community - View Single Post - My first day sailer. What do you pack in yours?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by radcat:994213
Congratulations on your new boat. While I have not sailed your neck of the woods, I sailed a Flying Scott for several years, and here are some things that I have found helpful (some you may have and did not mention)
1. A chart for whatever water you are in- lake or salt. It is surprising how you can get turned around in seemingly familiar waters.
2. A good pair of binoculars.
3. Plan on getting back to the dock after dark- I don’t care how well you plan, it will happen sooner or later. With your boat length, you have some lighting options but you want to make sure you are seen. A lot of portable options are available.
4. Compass
5. You mentioned ground tackle. Test it out sometime when the wind comes up and make sure it is up for the job.
6. Foul weather gear. A blanket in a plastic bag is also a good idea. With rain and some wind hypothermia is a real threat even during the summer months and you are only 3.6 degrees away from it.
7. Standard safety gear like flares and a horn.
8. Engine manual and an extra spark plug. The wind died one day and so did my engine while I was daysailing around Ohio Key. The tide was running toward the nearest shore and I was glad I had enough anchor to hold me until I figured out (from the manual) that I forgot to open the gas cap vent and drew a vacuum on the fuel tank of that 2 hp engine. Pretty embarrassing for an old submarine machinist mate. I am now a big believer in pre-underway checklists.
9. Extra line. You will use it in ways you can’t imagine.
10. Plan on someone (or your pet) going over the side. I had a small folding ladder on the back of the Flying Scott.

All boats have something in common regardless of the size- unexpected stuff happens. Be safe and have a great time.
Wow, thanks for this! This is exactly what I was looking for. Binocs, extra line, charts (waterproof), compass (x2), flares, air horn - I have all these. However, the rest of your points I didn't think of.

The lighting is a great point, I'll def look into it. I bet a small cheap solar light could be placed at the top of the mast easily to start. Also will bring the flashlights from my kayaking gear.

Spark plug - don't know why I didn't think of this before as I do this on my motor boat. Engine manual, great idea.

I was also thinking about putting the ground tackle bucket, and my extra fuel forward, to each side of the centerboard tunnel. This would help as ballast and be out of the way.

Thanks for the great reply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook