SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
post #501 of Old 02-24-2013
DRFerron
A mod and her dragon

Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I have zero desire to learn downhill skiing. I hate the cold. I hate being cold and wet. I hate wearing 40 layers of clothes. I'll deal with the cold, I'll put on the layers. But not to participate in a sport that I just don't care about.

I wonder if, when I was in my twenties and thirties, some skiing forum was labeling me as lazy and uninspired despite the fact that I was taking unpaid leave from my job to go across the country to volunteer for disaster relief, I was a SAR volunteer and swift water rescue instructor and a mentor for deliquent teens.

It could very well be the case that, shockingly, there aren't a lot of young people who even WANT to sail. Just because it's my passion does not make it anyone else's. For me to judge you based on my lifestyle is a waste of time.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome