SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I have zero desire to learn downhill skiing. I hate the cold. I hate being cold and wet. I hate wearing 40 layers of clothes. I'll deal with the cold, I'll put on the layers. But not to participate in a sport that I just don't care about.

I wonder if, when I was in my twenties and thirties, some skiing forum was labeling me as lazy and uninspired despite the fact that I was taking unpaid leave from my job to go across the country to volunteer for disaster relief, I was a SAR volunteer and swift water rescue instructor and a mentor for deliquent teens.

It could very well be the case that, shockingly, there aren't a lot of young people who even WANT to sail. Just because it's my passion does not make it anyone else's. For me to judge you based on my lifestyle is a waste of time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook