SailNet Community - View Single Post - damage after impact
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: damage after impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J View Post
I'm also looking at purchasing a Beneteau 423 and it seems that I may have the same problem with possible boat grounding and keel separation.

The bulb also looks like it's been repairedAttachment 13483

Attachment 13484
The "Keel Smile" you illustrate is of absolutely no consequence. It is quite commonplace and results for a bit of flex in the joint. There is a little bit of rust staining which is also quite routine. Grind down to the iron and treat in the manner discussed in previous posts in this thread. The discoloration of the finish on the keel bulb may be from the repair of minor damage/scraping. As the profile appears to be quite consistent I suspect it is also of no consequence. To get a better idea of whats so, pull the floorboards in the vicinity of the keel in the salon and take a look at the tabbing between the hull liner and the hull and the keel bolts. I suspect you may find some rusting of the keel bolts but nothing else.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook