SailNet Community - View Single Post - My first day sailer. What do you pack in yours?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner:994285
Carib,

Take a Sailing and Seamanship Course from your local Power Squadron, especially if you'll be sailing the coast at all. It isn't a sailing course per se', but teaches all that boating stuff that people that have "been around boat their whole lives" tend to be missing. Kind of a "don't know what they don't know" thing.

Small boat, consider free, downloadable Booklet Charts, in plastic covers in a three ring binder. I put my plastic covers in upside down and tape the bottom closed Keeps the water out. For a mast light, I've used a $4 LED puck light in a Walmart bag in a pinch. The bag takes some of the sting out of the LEDs and makes it look like a real light. But is it visible for 2 NM? Can't say.
Agreed. Actually, my wife and I are already signed up at a school geared towards couples that want to live aboard, as that is our ultimate goal. We are scheduled (and currently studying for) ASA 101 Basic Keelboat, ASA 103 Coastal Cruising, ASA Bareboat Certification. I am also signed up for ASA 105 Coastal Navigation and Piloting. Our courses are taught one-on-one with a husband wife team who are both USCG Captains, as well as ASA instructors. I frequently do heavy duty sea kayaking so some of these things on the nav and weather side have been a bit easier to cover as I have already researched and taken classes. I also have quite a lot of experience with power boats as I have owned them on lakes all my life.

I wanted a day sailer to build up hours at the helm. All the captains I have spoken with say that a small sailboat helps you learn to "feel" larger 40-50 footers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook