SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice on sailing around Cape Hatteras?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: advice on sailing around Cape Hatteras?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Drake since you seem to be loaded ($) I would suggest a weather router. They will give you waypoints to shoot for taking advantage of weather and current. (Not the stream).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
In my opinion the offshore sailor should his or her own best weather router. It's easy to get 98% of the information onboard in a timely way. You should be able to interpret it and make appropriate decisions. The ham and marine SSB nets get you that last 2%. It's not about cost, it's about self-sufficiency.
I found those commercial weather routers totally waste of money and time. Been there and done that for many times. May be we don't have enough clout to gain a decent service from them. I understand they are big for the cruisers. Many organizations praise the service. I wonder if this is just "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours".

All the weather charts are readily available on the net. While in down time and not sailing, spend sometime to study at the weather charts, and then read their weather forecast, follow up by verifying with the actual weather. You will gain much more knowledge than paying 300 to 400 dollars
for their service.

But that is just me sayin'.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook