SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on a Caribbean Cruiser
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice on a Caribbean Cruiser

I can say that two pilot berths, and two kids, worked out perfectly for us for many years. We have a typical 38' 60's style racer cruiser that has two outboard pilot berths.

Not only do kids love them for their own "private" space, they have their own storage lockers at the heads, fiddled shelf outboard, and drawer storage below.

The best thing for me is the boat never needs converting. Kids can go to bed when they want, sleep as late as they want, we have full access through the boat from cockpit to veeberth and head, nice. Sailing overnight, they're terrific.

Our boat is small by today's standards, and lacks that third kid berth you need. We use a pull out settee for the times we've had 5 onboard(that's one option for you unless you can find 2 pilots and a quarter).

For the few times we've had 6 onboard, we slide the other settee out. Works in a pinch, but nobody can move! Good luck with your search.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook