SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Interior Arrangement Really Works for Living Aboard with Kids?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: What Interior Arrangement Really Works for Living Aboard with Kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
I am trying to find a boat that can carry a family of 5 for a year. I am coming to the conclusion that each kiddo needs their own single berth than can be LEFT UP.

I am hunting for something with three singles that are aft or pilot, then a v berth for us.

One thing you might consider.. boats built primarily for racing (racer/cruiser rather than cruiser/racer) often had layouts that included outboard pilot berths and/or pipe berths that kids quite like. We previously owned a 40 footer with such a layout.. not any kind of sumptuous finish like a true cruising boat, but not too bad either. These boats typically sell for less, often they are limited runs or one-offs, on the plus side they are usually well equipped, esp the deck gear (winches, etc) Sometimes the cockpits are not cruiser friendly but we got lucky there too.

The pilot berth shown here was originally a pipe berth, we converted it to fixed to create extra storage behind/underneath.

Aft, we had 4 more pipe berths.. the lowers were usually given over to gear bags, the kids used the uppers. Advantage is the ability to level them out at angles of heel..

Not a bad cockpit either...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-24-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook