SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I have zero desire to learn downhill skiing. I hate the cold. I hate being cold and wet. I hate wearing 40 layers of clothes. I'll deal with the cold, I'll put on the layers. But not to participate in a sport that I just don't care about.

I wonder if, when I was in my twenties and thirties, some skiing forum was labeling me as lazy and uninspired despite the fact that I was taking unpaid leave from my job to go across the country to volunteer for disaster relief, I was a SAR volunteer and swift water rescue instructor and a mentor for deliquent teens.

It could very well be the case that, shockingly, there aren't a lot of young people who even WANT to sail. Just because it's my passion does not make it anyone else's. For me to judge you based on my lifestyle is a waste of time.
Ive been snowboarding and that was fun but not the kind of thing I would want to do normally either.

There was a time once upon a time where I had less than ZERO desire to be out on the ocean. Ive learned better and its a place I love being now but perception of a thing can guide ones opinion in a lot of cases too.

I do know that some of the post resounds with me because I always feel ever so slighly out of place. I dont really fit in with people my own age but I am always around people 10-20 years older than myself. This is an issue both inside and outside of sailing, a problem I have had most of my life. I know it would be nice to know a couple more people my own age with the same interests
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook