SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Maybe the challenge is a lack of touchstones.
Back in the 60s you had a whole whack of folks setting off and circling the world, in the late 60s and early 70s you had a DIY culture growing...
...and you had "dove".
I think that "Dove" was a touchstone that inspired a generation or two.

The story of "Dove" inspired millions of sailors, including me. It demonstrated that you didn't have to be rich, you didn't have to be old you didn't have to be educated, you didn't have to own a VW bus to simply tune in, turn on, drop out and go out and just freakin' do it. It demonstrated attainability. "Dove" lit the fuse for a whole lot of us.

I don't think there is a 21st generation "Dove." Yeah, I know somebody is going to nominate the "Hold Fast" crew, but the comparison is invalid. Graham sailed around the world for FIVE YEARS. the "hold fast" jibsters lasted less than five months. it wasn't a lifestyle for them it was a checkbox on their punchlist. The bumfuzzles come closer, but again, they left the water, having been there, done that, but there was an underlying theme of upper middle class privilege.
The sunderland siblings and jessica watson and their ilk are hopefully the harbingers of a renaissance of youthful cruising and globe trotting.
We need it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook