SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting ahead of myself
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting ahead of myself

Jim,
You're looking at a three day weekend to Delaware City. When we did this trip in our Catalina 30 we left Norfolk and went into Mathews Yacht Club the first night. Mathews is just a few miles south of Deltaville (the people were fantastic BTW).

From Mathews we went to Spring Cove in Solomons (69 nautical miles), then on to Great Oak Landing (76 nautical miles) and finally to Delaware City (49 NM). Chef's advice on the Delaware Bay is spot on. Don't take it lightly, it can be a rough ride.

Expect problems to crop up with a "new to you" boat, and expect weather to play a factor in March. Our jib blew out in a storm just north of Norfolk and we bypassed Rock Hall because of horrendous weather (horizontal rain, ridiculous winds and tornadoes - not kidding). And we kept clogging diesel filters in rough conditions in Delaware Bay due to tank crud (after I paid to have the tank cleaned by a "reputable" mechanic - arrgh). Oh and make sure you give the guys in Delaware city duplicate keys - they are known to lose them - ask me how I know .

In other words it was a pretty typical delivery for an unfamiliar boat

I know Chef sails the bay this time of year, but I would think long and hard about the weather. I occasionally sail up here in the middle of winter with a buddy who stays in all year. A sunny day in the 40's can be nice, but the dampness really gets into your bones and the temperature drops fast in the afternoon. I can't imagine 12 hour days in March will be fun.

If the marina will let you keep her there until they start splashing boats in April I'd give it some serious thought. It will give you a chance to take her out a few times and the opportunity to repair anything that crops up. That will give you a lot more confidence for the trip north and hopefully make it less eventful.

Best of luck with her,
Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook