SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising with a Hard Dingy on Davits
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
LW...I keep my caribe on davits while cruising offshore with the dinghy outboard secured on deck. I always choose an acceptable weather window, but that doesn't mean I won't be caught in some short term squall. I don't know the weight of your hard dinghy, but their not always heavier that the inflatables. As you have the ketch rig, be sure to consider some of your unique options. Not only can you use a halyard on your mizzen to assist in moving your outboard on and off your dinghy, you can use such running rigging to support the load on your davits. I have permanently attached adjustable backstays from the top of my mizzen to the aft end of each of my davits. You must consider the impact on the strength of your standing rigging and the transmission of this load through your triactic and forestay. Of course be sure this would clear your mizzen boom as well. I also keep the load within my dinghy light while offshore; removing the dinghy anchor, fuel tank,etc.. and I have redundant lines preventing the dinghy motion and chafe. On inshore and protected waters I leave the outboard and load in the dinghy for convenience. I've been cruising with these added "davit stays" since 1986 and since 1995 they have also helped support a 100 watt solar panel. The only negative affect has been an additional prep for entering the travel-lift stern first. 'Take care and joy,-Stewart Force onboard Aythya, email aythya1@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook