SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
All supporting Take Fives point about having great hindsight. 20/20 vison on events occuring.

Dave, the Picton Castle Captain manifested his disbelief for Bounty's Captain has soon as he knew he had sailed out of port and way before the boat sunk.

He showed disagreement but that does not mean he does not respect Wallbridge autonomy as Captain. It was not his right to tell him what to do even if he knew that he was sailing an Hurricane. Anyway Wallbrige didn't look for advise near any other tall ship Captains regarding his option and when they took knowledge was to late to even for them to try to change his mind.

Regarding the 20/20 insight, he may even have survived with his ship but taking an old XVIII century designed wooden boat in bad shape with an inexperienced crew to really extreme weather was by all counts gambling with the crew lives and regarding that I guess that we could even have a 100/100 certainty, no insight here.

Gambling with the lives of the crew, or in his own words "taking calculated risks" is a wrong thing, a thing a Captain has no right to do. If he had got away with it one more time, it would not make it less wrong.

We heard repeatedly people from the Tall ship community saying that the talk was that the Bounty was in bad shape and that had an inexperienced crew. I guess that other Tall ship Captains would have a better knowledge about that than sailors.

As I have said before, I didn't like that open letter to a dead man even if I agree with the general content, but not with the form. It is even more chocking to me because he claims he was a wallbridge's friend. I dispense that kind of friends

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-24-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook