SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
...It was not his right to tell him what to do even if he knew that he was sailing an Hurricane...
I disagree 100%. In this country, he would absolutely have the right to tell him whatever he wants. We do have something called the First Amendment here, and this falls well within that right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
...We heard repeatedly people from the Tall ship community saying that the talk was that the Bounty was in bad shape...
If there really was such talk in advance of this accident, and there was no resulting action (such as strong negative peer pressure) among the tall ship community, then there is a case to be made that there is a poor safety culture that pervades the entire tall ship community. It could be argued that they deserve any negative consequences (increased regulations, etc.) that come out of this investigation.

If on the other hand there was such strong peer pressure, and the Bounty leadership refused to listen, then the tall ship community may have done all they could. But where is the evidence that this peer pressure took place? I have not heard about in any of the testimony.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook