SailNet Community - View Single Post - The definition of I can cook
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: The definition of I can cook

Interesting discussion.

I'm going to say that a lot depends on managing the expectations of the captain and crew you might be joining. While most people can manage to toss some frozen entrees into the microwave at home that does not make them a cook, per se. Some folks might consider that frying up a couple of Bubba burgers, making some Mac'n cheese from a box and opening a can of canned peaches for fruit salad is all it takes to be a cook. A lot really depends on what kind of meals might be expected.

I have taken up the habit of bringing along my own traveling spice pack when I go for an overnight weekend on my friends boat. I bring along spices that I like that are not likely to be found in just any grocery store: cumin seeds, roasted ground cumin, ground and whole pepper corns, ginger, curry powder, saffron, thyme, rosemary and even salt. You never know what spices you will find in someone else's galley (expect nothing and you won't be disappointed) or know how long it has been sitting there in a hot cabin. I like to cook and while I would eat Bubba burgers that is not the kind of food I'm really partial to. With a judicious use of spices, technique and ingredients I can even make Broccoli taste good but some people actually like simply steamed (yech!).

The trouble is that not everyone really likes highly spiced or exotic tasting foods. You have to cook for the median taste of the crew rather than the extremes (like me).

I took a Thai cooking course and I like to make certain Indian dishes but not everyone likes food loaded with fresh ginger and fiery taste.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook