SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Dave, the Picton Castle Captain manifested his disbelief for Bounty's Captain has soon as he knew he had sailed out of port and way before the boat sunk.

He showed disagreement but that does not mean he does not respect Wallbridge autonomy as Captain. It was not his right to tell him what to do even if he knew that he was sailing an Hurricane. Anyway Wallbrige didn't look for advise near any other tall ship Captains regarding his option and when they took knowledge was to late to even for them to try to change his mind.

Regarding the 20/20 insight, he may even have survived with his ship but taking an old XVIII century designed wooden boat in bad shape with an inexperienced crew to really extreme weather was by all counts gambling with the crew lives and regarding that I guess that we could even have a 100/100 certainty, no insight here.

Gambling with the lives of the crew, or in his own words "taking calculated risks" is a wrong thing, a thing a Captain has no right to do. If he had got away with it one more time, it would not make it less wrong.

We heard repeatedly people from the Tall ship community saying that the talk was that the Bounty was in bad shape and that had an inexperienced crew. I guess that other Tall ship Captains would have a better knowledge about that than sailors.

As I have said before, I didn't like that open letter to a dead man even if I agree with the general content, but not with the form. It is even more chocking to me because he claims he was a wallbridge's friend. I dispense that kind of friends

Regards

Paulo
I understand how you feel about the letter to the dead captain by Jan Miles and it is the same as mine. And again the issue we are not talking about is whether Walbridge was right or wrong or irrespsonsible that has been determined. Its the Johnny come lately attiitude of the Tall Ship Captains.

So heres the question. Paulo, You have kept you boat in marina/ city for 8 years. You race every Wednesday night, go out and eat with the Salboat captains and get to know them fairly well. You go to marinia, club meetings regularly together and get to see each other quite a bit over the 8 years. Your crews intermingle and know each other too. You spend a lot of time together and one or two become even closer friends who you socialize with a lot. He owns the oldest boat in ther marina, has a rookie crew every year, fixes things with bailing wire and rope because he doesnt have the money to keep his boat up like you do. Everytimne you race he breaks down or breaks something, but he patches it up and makes every race. You have his e mail address and cell phone.

You know he is planning a trip to England. In your mind you are suspect he will not break down along the way even in the best of weather as that has meen his MO, and you arent sure when hes leaving. A huge storm developes over 1000 miles away in England and looks but looks like it might travel to Portugal and brush your marina so you decide to make sure you boat is tied up well, While doing this you find out he has left for England that very night. You are afraid for his life , his crew, and his ship surviving this storm

What would you do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook