SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
If there really was such talk in advance of this accident, and there was no resulting action (such as strong negative peer pressure) among the tall ship community, then there is a case to be made that there is a poor safety culture that pervades the entire tall ship community. It could be argued that they deserve any negative consequences (increased regulations, etc.) that come out of this investigation.

If on the other hand there was such strong peer pressure, and the Bounty leadership refused to listen, then the tall ship community may have done all they could. But where is the evidence that this peer pressure took place? I have not heard about in any of the testimony.
I agree with that but not specifically in what regards the Tall Ship community. Comparing with Europe and in what regards private yachts America has a poor safety culture, I mean one that is mandatory, enforced and inspected. For what was said in this thread by members of the TSC that poor safety culture is not generalized and it seems that ships and boats like the Bounty are more a exception than a rule.

It is not to the Tall Ship Community that has the power to make the rules regarding safety and mandatory inspections but the Coast Guard. Yes I consider that the Coast Guard is also to blame in all this affair.

Allowing a ship like the Bounty to be classified as a simple Yacht and that way escape mandatory serious inspections and safety requirements is entirely on the Coats Guard. They did not need this accident to have made a recommendation for an alteration of the law. It was obvious that it was unsafe to allow big Tall ships to be considered as yachts.

A sensible regulation in what regards Tall ships should already exist and if it is a sensible, well made one it will be also in the interest of the Tall Ship Community. It can prevent more accidents like the one on the Bounty and contribute to a more generalized safety culture.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-24-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook