SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

So heres the question. Paulo, You have kept you boat in marina/ city for 8 years. You race every Wednesday night, go out and eat with the Salboat captains and get to know them fairly well. You go to marinia, club meetings regularly together and get to see each other quite a bit over the 8 years. Your crews intermingle and know each other too. You spend a lot of time together and one or two become even closer friends who you socialize with a lot. He owns the oldest boat in ther marina, has a rookie crew every year, fixes things with bailing wire and rope because he doesnt have the money to keep his boat up like you do. Everytimne you race he breaks down or breaks something, but he patches it up and makes every race. You have his e mail address and cell phone.

You know he is planning a trip to England. In your mind you are suspect he will not break down along the way even in the best of weather as that has meen his MO, and you arent sure when hes leaving. A huge storm developes over 1000 miles away in England and looks but looks like it might travel to Portugal and brush your marina so you decide to make sure you boat is tied up well, While doing this you find out he has left for England that very night. You are afraid for his life , his crew, and his ship surviving this storm

What would you do?
Well, in fact something similar had happened to me. Long ago a very good sailor that was circumnavigating solo without engine on a small 30ft boat stayed in Peniche for some weeks and we socialized a lot. He left on the winter to Madeira and I was not sure it was the right thing to do. A big storm come in and I called to Madeira Port Captaincy to tell them I was afraid regarding my friend. They say they would be watching and in the same day through Peniche Port Captaincy I received this message: "Thanks Paulo, fantastic voyage. I arrived yesterday"

Today with Eperb technology and knowing he had an Epirb and a Satellite phone, I would not have to warn nobody. I would just call to be sure he had made it in safety.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-25-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook