SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I agree with that but not specifically in what regards the Tall Ship community. Comparing with Europe and in what regards private yachts America has a poor safety culture, I mean one that is mandatory, enforced and inspected....It is not to the Tall Ship Community that has the power to make the rules regarding safety and mandatory inspections but the Coast Guard. Yes I consider that the Coast Guard is also to blame in all this affair....
Maybe it's a language translation issue, but you don't seem to understand the meaning of the word "culture" as we yankees have used it. It is totally separate from regulation. A safety culture is a set of attitudes and practices that go beyond the mandatory regulations. Indeed, various groups (like the Tall Ship community) will often argue that increased regulation is not needed because their "culture" provides adequate self-policing. Just wait until there are some increased regulations proposed - I guarantee that you'll hear these arguments starting to be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
...Allowing a ship like the Bounty to be classified as a simple Yacht and that way escape mandatory serious inspections and safety requirements is entirely on the Coats Guard. They did not need this accident to have made a recommendation for an alteration of the law. It was obvious that it was unsafe to allow big Tall ships to be considered as yachts...
I think the blame is shared with the Tall Ship Community. If what you've said is true and it was known that the ship was in bad shape, they had lots of ways to apply strong peer pressure. It seems like most Associations that sponsor races and other competitions have minimum safety rules that must be followed, including design criteria that ensure seaworthiness. What about the Tall Ships Challenge? If everybody knew what bad shape this boat was in, and that they were skirting the rules, why was Bounty admitted by the event organizers?

Hell, they even promoted the boat as accepting "students and groups of all ages."

Now try to tell me that the Tall Ship community isn't complicit in this disaster. This it not all the Coast Guard's fault.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 02-25-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook