SailNet Community - View Single Post - Circumnavigation without instruments
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Circumnavigation without instruments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Marvin Creamer a Geography professor at Glassboro State College (now Rowan University) did a number of proof of concept crossing of the Atlantic without navigation instruments or charts. The intent was to show that it was possible for early explorers to cross oceans only with knowledge of their environment.
If someone sailed west across the Atlantic and missed the Americas, now that would be impressive.

But sailing west around the globe with the trades and currents all heading in your direction, well . . . . I'm not sure that's all that impressive. He probably didn't care how long it took and (probably) nor was he that concerned about where he made landfall. Given such an open canvas, many things are possible.

I say probably because to be frank, I haven't the interest to read the material. If he mostly made landfall within 30 miles of where he expected to, that would be impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
His later circumnavigation, with crew and port stops but with an hour glass as his only navigation instrument was a further demonstration of his hypothesis.
Brave crew, to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452
I did check that he had back up instuments and other reduncey.
Really? What were the back-up instruments backing up? The absence of any instruments? Interesting concept indeed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook