SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

While some input from the TS community was in poor taste, I do not assign responsibility to them. I'm not even sure they falsely advertised Bounty, as it was inspected, just not to commercial standards for carrying paying passengers.

Wasn't the Coast Guard actually aboard Bounty many times for inspections? There is a link above to dozens of them. They may have been limited in nature, but obviously the hulk passed the rules as they were (and are unlikely to remain). Who was the TSC going to tip off? I'm also not buying that peer pressure would have made a bit of difference either. This was an independently owned vessel, registered as a private yacht. It had to be pretty clear to the professional community that this operation was always trying to skirt the rules and there seemed to be no official violation after years of USCG involvement. It may have been a perfectly safe dockside attraction or fair weather Bay cruiser, how could they know that level of detail. This was simply a dereliction of duty to take this hulk on a passage beyond its capability and the TS community, along with everyone else, was unaware of that decision until it was too late.

I'm not defending the poor taste of the open letter, but none of this disaster should be at the TSC doorstep either. What I find most interesting is that I'm not aware that all the actions of the TS community are even in evidence, or ever will be, and those most insistent on official investigation evidence have been willing to overlook that requirement in this case. Do we know that no member of the TSC ever confronted the skipper or the owner?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook