SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Actually NCC320, I agree with you for the most part about over regulations. Throughout my professional life I've been involved with regulation and safety in the nuclear industry and for the most part it was very much needed. And even in the auto industry there were many improvement in safety at the bequest of Nader in the 60's. Even here recently the battery problems with the Boeing airliner was a good thing to ground that plane until a fix is found. Actually identifying the problem and fixing it is harder than it appears due to many factors. Some of which are political in nature, financial, egos and bureacrats. The louder voice gets heard over the more reasoned technical one. A couple of years ago we had our dock on the Cheaspeake replaced and after undergoing much red tape and having to make a modification to the stairway from the dock down to the small beach area, we were finally in compliance. However a couple of months later a storm wiped out that entire staircase and my neighbor and I had to retreive it and this time we repaired it ourselves by through bolting it to the pilings which should have been done from day one. My point being that the regulations did not cover the more important aspect of keeping that staircase intact, but rather looked at the cosmetics.

It is difficult getting a truely objective look at accidents and their causes, but it can be done. I was taken aback when the yard manager testified that the Captain told him that the Bounty was leaking water at the rate of 30000 gallons/hr. He couldn't believe it, but when he brought the Bounty out of the water back in 2006, he believed him. I still think that must be a wrong quote and maybe I heard it wrong.(Decimal in the wrong place?) However, no additional testimony that I'm aware of was received of how the repairs made back then actually lessened the water intake and by how much!!!

Yes we are over regulated and that makes us feel good, but safety should be the goal over a feel good approach.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook