SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sydney Hobart Record
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Sydney Hobart Record

Paulo,

You're last couple of explanations are better. No different than some of the cross the atlantic records. If in a actual race....that is one type of record. If one can choose weather etc, then another type of record.

I suppose one could say the same about the 100M dash records. There are two as there is for many track records, The open, ie when ever set at a meet, then there is the olympic record. Sometimes both are the same, other times, the open is faster than the olympic....

I do agree that the title could be construed as not being accurate to a degree......

I would not want to take away the time records for either boat or race per say. As one is set on a given day, no matter the wind etc. the other one is able to play with the weather to set what should be the ultimate record. BOTH records have places. Probably no different that the around the world sailing records. There is a record for going east, and one going west. One with the winds, the other against. Neither should be held against the other, as both directions have potential opposite issues.

marty