SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
post #3892 of Old 02-25-2013 Thread Starter
Mantra 28

Originally Posted by eehgil View Post
I must say I absolutely find the Mantra 28 interesting. Like a modern (fast) Vega? A bit strange that a boat that is presented as an offshore (circumnavigation) boat is only category B. But there might be requirements to get the category A that is impossible to furfill for a 28 feet boat?
Hi. welcome to the thread and to Sailnet.

Yes, you are right regarding category A and I want to say that I am not endorsing a 28ft boat as a bluewater boat and that personally I would be very reticent in crossing the pond in one less even in circumnavigating in one. It obviously can be done and with a reasonable risk margin, since that boat had circumnavigated several time. Happens that to me a reasonable margin is not enough, I want a big safety margin

That does not mean that the Mantra 28 is not a very seaworthy boat for its size and also a well built one. No 28ft boat could survive 4 circumnavigations if it was not a strong and well built boat. I find the Mantra 28 remarkable as a mass production boat but the comparison with the Vega only is valid if, as you say, we consider the time where they were designed : Both are two great answers for the same design criteria separated by 45 years of design and technological improvements.

The Albin Vega is a 1967 design:

It is a narrower boat and a full keeler with a sail area/displacement of 16.5. The Mantra 28 is a modern design, beamier (2.70m to 2.46m), with a modern keel with much more draft ( 1.65m to 1.12m) with almost all the weight in a bulb. It has not only a superior stability as it is much faster. It has also more interior space.

The interior is not its stronger point even if it looks functional:

But look at this Dimensions:

Look at this hull:

If I was looking for a small cruiser with offshore capacity I would certainly would go to Poland to look at this one and to know if they cannot do a better job on the interior. Well, I can design it

All the rest seems very good to me in what regards hull design and the very good B/D ratio (36%). I like it and probably the price is an agreeable surprise. Polish boats tend to be not much expensive. Maybe they can tell us about that.

mY mantra 28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-25-2013 at 12:11 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome