SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Mantra 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by eehgil View Post
I must say I absolutely find the Mantra 28 interesting. Like a modern (fast) Vega? A bit strange that a boat that is presented as an offshore (circumnavigation) boat is only category B. But there might be requirements to get the category A that is impossible to furfill for a 28 feet boat?
Hi. welcome to the thread and to Sailnet.

Yes, you are right regarding category A and I want to say that I am not endorsing a 28ft boat as a bluewater boat and that personally I would be very reticent in crossing the pond in one less even in circumnavigating in one. It obviously can be done and with a reasonable risk margin, since that boat had circumnavigated several time. Happens that to me a reasonable margin is not enough, I want a big safety margin

That does not mean that the Mantra 28 is not a very seaworthy boat for its size and also a well built one. No 28ft boat could survive 4 circumnavigations if it was not a strong and well built boat. I find the Mantra 28 remarkable as a mass production boat but the comparison with the Vega only is valid if, as you say, we consider the time where they were designed : Both are two great answers for the same design criteria separated by 45 years of design and technological improvements.

The Albin Vega is a 1967 design:

It is a narrower boat and a full keeler with a sail area/displacement of 16.5. The Mantra 28 is a modern design, beamier (2.70m to 2.46m), with a modern keel with much more draft ( 1.65m to 1.12m) with almost all the weight in a bulb. It has not only a superior stability as it is much faster. It has also more interior space.

The interior is not its stronger point even if it looks functional:

But look at this Dimensions:

Look at this hull:

MANTRA28 VIDEOS

If I was looking for a small cruiser with offshore capacity I would certainly would go to Poland to look at this one and to know if they cannot do a better job on the interior. Well, I can design it

All the rest seems very good to me in what regards hull design and the very good B/D ratio (36%). I like it and probably the price is an agreeable surprise. Polish boats tend to be not much expensive. Maybe they can tell us about that.

http://www.mantra-yachts.com/prodran...e/brochure.pdf

mY mantra 28

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-25-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook