SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Unfortunately, whenever a bad event happens, or even things not necessarily bad happen but different from what was expected, the response is always new laws and regulations. There were some fatal automobile accidents over the week end, therefore, with the same reasoning, we need new laws, maybe a 1 year detailed course in driving before people are allowed on the road. A couple of wackos (out of 300,000,000+) kill a bunch of people, and we rush to band/regulate extensively the type of gun they used, never mind that more people were killed annually by hammers than this type of weapon. Last week, a doctor and his staff were killed when their private business jet crashed, so let's make rules that forbid medical personnel from flying....it's too risky and we can't afford to lose their skills, especially with Obamacare coming. Soon, we'll have enough laws that everyone becomes a criminal, even if they have no intent. Nobody knows, or can comply with, all the regulations that already exist.

As for other TS captains interferring with the Bounty's captain, would Chef and others like their neighbors and contemporaries interferring in how they live their lives? How about a neighbor reporting you to the IRS, or Child Services, or to police when they think you may have been drinking excessively simply because you had a party, to which they were not present, that went on for hours? Not because the neighbor knew of some infraction, he just thought there might be, or things were being done different from how he would do them. I've read where people had these exact things happen already. Now, we are going to report boats that we think are unsafe, or report captains that we think are making the wrong call?

In the grand scheme of things, not many people get killed on tall ships. New laws and regulations each time two people die in an accident that really was a result of a single person in charge making a bad decision?
What the heck does this have to do with Obamacare...you need to interject your own personal political agenda into this.

Quote:
How about a neighbor reporting you to the IRS, or Child Services, or to police when they think you may have been drinking excessively simply because you had a party, to which they were not present, that went on for hours? Not because the neighbor knew of some infraction, he just thought there might be, or things were being done different from how he would do them

So if you saw someone drinking excessively at a party and you knew they got into a car and they were driving you would do nothing right? Please answer this.

I never said they had an obligation to say anything to the Captain, no had to.

It wasnt me, It was Jan Miles who wrote the Dear Robin letter in poor taste a month after he went to his death. If he needed a catharsis why didnt he write it and just send it to his wife. Why did he publish it on Facebook where all the world can see. What was that purpose? What did he stand to gain from that? If I screwed up caused someone to die would I expect any friend of mine to publically do what he did? Why did he do it that way?

What I am saying here is that their protestations lack sincerity when it came down to it as they stood idly by all along. And some of the statements showed 20/20 hinsight as Take Five said as they were not beforehand yet they had knowledge of the Bounty comnditions forehand. Maine sail aptly pointed out he could see this at the dock and that the boat should never have really ever left the dock let alone go into a hurricane.

By thier own admissions they knew the boat was suspect maintainence wise and their crew was incredibly ameteurish in experience. They were all part of the same TSC which supoosedly by their website inspected their ships carefully before promoting them in their voyages ( did you read what they said in their website). So had can they now say they now the Bounty was always in bad repair and had ameteurs when they said the opposite in their literature.

So i ask the same question again that I asked Paulo to you.

You have kept you boat in marina/ city for 8 years. You race every Wednesday night, go out and eat with the Salboat captains and get to know them fairly well. You go to marinia, club meetings regularly together and get to see each other quite a bit over the 8 years. Your crews intermingle and know each other too. You spend a lot of time together and one or two become even closer friends who you socialize with a lot. He owns the oldest boat in ther marina, has a rookie crew every year, fixes things with bailing wire and rope because he doesnt have the money to keep his boat up like you do. Everytimne you race he breaks down or breaks something, but he patches it up and makes every race. You have his e mail address and cell phone.

You know he is planning a trip from NC where you are to Maine. In your mind you are suspect he will not break down along the way even in the best of weather as that has been his MO, and you arent sure when hes leaving. A huge storm developes over 1000 miles away in middle of the Atlantic and looks but looks like it might travel to either the coastal US or the Gulf and could brush your marina, so you decide to make sure you boat is tied up well,

While doing this you find out he has left for Maine the night before. You are afraid for his life , his crew, and his ship surviving this storm

Will you do anything?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook