SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Yes I guess so but for that they had to know Wallbridge intentions. When he leave port did they know that he was not taking shelter in one of the ports along the way? Did they know that he was not going strait East putting space between the ship and the Hurricane? Did they know that he was riding the Hurricane? I doubt about this last hypothesis but if so, yes, the CG should have prevented the ship to sail out of Port.

On the case you mention (Westsail) a mayday was deployed by the crew (without the agreement of the Captain if I recall correctly), and only after that the boat and the voyage where considered unsafe.

On this case, even if they had systems out of order and were making water they didn't even send a Pane Pane to the CG. When they released a mayday the boat was already lost and when the CG arrived to the scene the boat had already capsized and they were on the water.

I don't know if the CG had enough information to justify preventing them out of Port, but clearly this and the Westsail situation are different case scenarios.

Regards

Paulo
If the Bounty had filed a float plan with the coast guard stating there plan was "to chase hurricane Sandy" I am fairly certain the CG would declare their voyage "manifestly unsafe" and ordered the boat not to sail into the hurricane. The reason the CG can do this is that they do not wish to be in a situation where they need to risk their lives and equipment to rescue someone that should not be where they are to begin with.

The CG does not need an issued Pan Pan or Mayday from a vessel. They can declare any voyage "manifestly unsafe" even before you leave the dock.

Of interest the SV Satori was found on Assateague Island (Maryland) a few days later (after CG rescue). Satori was fine with no storm damage, was towed off beach and continues to sail to this day.

Last edited by casey1999; 02-25-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook