SailNet Community - View Single Post - First time on the water today, I could use some advice!
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Re: First time on the water today, I could use some advice!

To reiterate what most people are saying:
You need to be shown by a sailor how to sail your boat. (assuming you rigged the boat correctly) Go out with someone who knows how to sail with a main and jib, let them walk you through everything that they do and after about an hour, start to try things yourself.

It's a small, fun sailboat that will work best with both sails up at the same time. You're just starting out and using it on a lake, don't sign up for sailing courses, just get someone who knows how to sail to show you. When I had a boat up for sale on craigslist, somebody messaged me asking "I actually just bought the same kind of boat, so I'm not interested in buying yours, but I need someone to show me how to sail it, would you be able to?" and I replied "Yes of course, I'll be happy to spend half a day back on the water on one of those boats again, especially because my is being sold" But then the person never got back to me - point being, just ask someone to go with you who knows what they're doing. Rig it in the parking lot your in your driveway and get used to where things are, what things do. Then next time you'll know what you're doing and take your wife back out and she'll see the progress and an entirely different experience of sailing of actually going fast, and getting somewhere, and returning back to the dock.

It sounds like you had an awful first experience. Don't repeat it by trying just the main, without the extra power of the jib. Set it ALL up WITH someone experienced, sail it the way it was meant to be sailed from now on.