SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting ahead of myself
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting ahead of myself

Jim,
I agree with everything you said, and if the weather isn't good, there's no way I'll move her. I'm OK with missing the March 22 window in Delaware City if need be. Sure, I'd LOVE to be in Barnegat Bay ASAP, but I have the whole season ahead of me, so I'm not in THAT big of a rush.

That being said, keeping her in Deltaville for a while really isn't an option - that's a 4+ hour ride in each direction, so I really won't get much use out of her. As of now, my wife is willing to try overnighting on the boat once it's in BB, but a trip to Deltaville and a sleep-over on the boat isn't in the cards for her, which means that I'd likely be going alone, and I already spend enough time away from my family. So, my goal is to get the boat out of Deltaville as soon as practical. If I can get her to Rock Hall, that cuts it to 2 hours, and Delaware City gets me down to an hour and a quarter or so. Then it really does become practical to hold out there and run down to do stuff until the weather/tides are good. Even if we don't go out for rides on the sailboat, we have a dinghy and can get out and play a bit, which will make it more fun for my boys.

Similarly, if I get to Cape May and then have to hang out there a few days/weeks, that's OK too. It's not ideal, mind you, but it could still work. I had considered doing this in a 4 day weekend, and trying to end in Cape May, but I think I'd rather tackle the Delaware River when I'm more rested, not after having already done 3 days on the boat (when it's not something I'm used to). Geographically, it also gets the boat closest to me, at least until I get to BB. So, all in all, Delaware City seems the best place to hang out for a while. Chesapeake City wouldn't be bad either, but I like the idea of setting myself up well for the next leg of the journey.

Well, again, this is all a bit premature, but I really do appreciate all of the feedback. The prospect of the trip has me nervous and excited. The first day or two will really be the big ones - I'll be shaking down the boat, and me. Once that's over, there are certainly challenges to be overcome, but I'll be closer to friends and family so finding crew will be easier, and the logistics of the move (stupid stuff, like how do I get back to my car?)become easier, too.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook