SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting ahead of myself
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting ahead of myself

Thanks! I'm still not 100% that we'll be getting her - there's still the small issue of a survey. But I'm planning just in case.

The survey is scheduled for March 8 (Friday). I'll be staying down until Sunday to clean up the boat and I plan on taking her out both days, just so I can get a feel for her and get used to steering with a wheel, using a diesel, etc. I don't know that I'll be out for very long either day - maybe an hour or so - but I do want to get more familiar with her.

My plan is to take her out, test out the main and jib, make sure I can start the engine without much difficulty, make sure the batteries are charing properly when the engine runs, and make sure the lights work (which will be covered in the survey, but with my luck, one will blow right after the survey is complete). There are several pieces of electronics, including a radar system, that I'll need to play with, too, so I can get more familiar with them.

Other than those things, what would you check out on a shake-down?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook