SailNet Community - View Single Post - The definition of I can cook
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: The definition of I can cook

Quinoa: Looks and tastes a lot like millet, canary seed. It was "rediscovered" as being a fairly nutritious alternative to rice and corn for folks who can't tolerate gluten. Personally, I find it has no flavor appeal, it works best if boiled in broth and seasoning, not plain. Sort of like a small bland buckwheat or kasha.

Dave, if you're cooking gluten-free you'll have to learn how to bake with the non-toxic grains which often are found in the "ethnic foods" shelves. Rice flour, potato flour/starch, tapioca flour, bean flour...and then there's the trick of baking it. GF breads are becoming commonly stocked in supermarkets, but even in Whole Foods it is a lottery to find out what is on the shelf, and how long it has been there.

The really old classic cookbooks like Joy of Cooking and The New Settlement Cookbook can usually still be found used or online, and they date back to a different time so they're actually quite handy on a boat. Like, no mayonaise? No problem, you've got an egg and some oil, right?

Anybody gives you grief over using a recipe, you just stick it in their sandwich. (G)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook