SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting ahead of myself
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting ahead of myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
My plan is to take her out, test out the main and jib, make sure I can start the engine without much difficulty, make sure the batteries are charing properly when the engine runs, and make sure the lights work (which will be covered in the survey, but with my luck, one will blow right after the survey is complete). There are several pieces of electronics, including a radar system, that I'll need to play with, too, so I can get more familiar with them.

Other than those things, what would you check out on a shake-down?
Sounds like you have a good plan. Be present for the survey if possible and ask the surveyor lots of questions. Good surveyors are a wealth of information.

Get familiar with your chartplotter on the shakedown (if present) and check if there are up to date charts aboard. Are the instruments working, especially the depth sounder?

The surveyor should check the VHF but a radio check can't hurt.

Motor for no less than an hour. Take her up to cruising speed for a while. Back her down a 1,000 RPM's and cruise for a while. Try different speeds. Listen and feel what the engine is doing. At the end of an hour is she doing anything different, is she dropping revs? If she is the most likely culprit is dirty fuel or filters. Write down the filter numbers and buy spares.

After a couple of hours on the water go below and look for any signs of leaks from hatches and stanchions.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook