SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sydney Hobart Record
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Sydney Hobart Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hartley that is not the point. Multihulls are faster period! In fact I believe that the same way you have records for men and women in athletics (because men are faster) you should have in what regards records, record times for multihulls and record times for multihulls. It makes no sense to say that a Multihull beat a Monohull record the same way that does not make sense in athletics to say that a man "smashed" a women's record.
Paulo, I don't disagree with you - but merely point out that until the CYCA make a policy decision to recognise multi-hulls and allow them to enter their competetions there will never be a distinction over here.

A few people in recent years have tried to pressure the CYCA into allowing multis to compete in the Sydney-Hobart Race. A conspiracy theorist might argue that this "record" attempt could be intended to increase the pressure..

..but since multis are seen to be "dangerous" and "extreme" and with mental images of that pointless monohull/multihull AC challenge in NZ still in their minds, most people over here, both sailors and non-sailors alike, are quite happy with monohull-only competition in the CYCA's races - for now.