SailNet Community - View Single Post - Circumnavigation without instruments
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Circumnavigation without instruments

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Actually, looks like he went east, rounding cape of good hope and cape horn.

If this voyage was done without instruments on the boat then I stand corrected - that is indeed impressive. But it also inspires me to read the material on it because I have reservations.

An example of them is that when he got south of Australia he suddenly turns left and sails straight up to a landfall. This after sailing for at least a month, probably more, completely out of sight of land. I wonder what it was that let him believe that by turning left he was in line with a port on the Australian coast. Remember the claim that he had "an hour glass as his only navigation instrument "

The course that is shown on the chart actually could not have been done better with all the instruments that modern science can muster. Many of the single handed racers that have the best instrumentation and comms that money can buy would be proud of sailing a course this good.

I'm not yet convinced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook