SailNet Community - View Single Post - downwind sail for PSC31
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013

Summit_Elan is on a distinguished road
downwind sail for PSC31

Hi all:

I have a PSC 31 (#36) Hinei'ni (nee Clue), and I saw on the PSC owners org website a photo of Journey,a PSC 31 in NC or SC flying an asymetrical spinnaker. The owners association has not responded to my request to join, so I can't post there. I am considering adding an asym to my sail quiver and wanted to hear any pros and cons. I have two furling headsails (yankee and staysail) but I'm not sure if that's relevant or not. I have the bowsprit D-ring and spinnaker blocks at the transom in place. i got a quote from an annapolis sailmaker for $2,800 for the sail, 64 sq. meters, and an ATN sock...I would only need a quick release and about two feet of line or webbing to clear the bow pulpit.

I actually saw another boat (some kind of 352 H/HR?? recently with three furling headsails..the foremost was an asym of sorts, then a yankee, then a staysail. I think that aside from the ability to stay aft and unfurl, this is an expensive, overdone, and less attractive option.

Has anybody installed a third headsail or am I right and this is too much? How much downwind improvement will I see with an asym over the high cut yankee?

Elan
Pacific Seacraft 31 #36
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook