SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chesapeake Bay Marina recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
In Maryland, if the boat is documented, you just have to "buy" the little sticker, which I think costs something like $12 a year. The tax rate is 5 percent, and if you paid that rate or higher elsewhere, there is no additional sales tax.

Cam -- yes, many cities counties in Virginia have a personal property tax on cars and boats. According to a friend who lives in Norfolk, the only locality down there that does not have such a tax on boats is Portsmouth. There's something about moving your boat to Portsmouth the first part of each year when the tax is due so that you do not have to pay the Norfolk tax. Thus, as far as I know, it's easy to get around the tax but you have to move the boat to Portsmouth.

On the whole, the western shore of Maryland (especially Baltimore-Annapolis area) is a pretty good place to keep a boat given BWI airport.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook