SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
... But when the two TS Captains start sitting in judgement and one writes a public open letter on Facebook one moth later slamming the dead captain, one has to wonder why thy didn't try and slow down the Bounty ever leaving the dock again....
To be fair, let me tell you that the Captain of Picton Castle showed incredibility at the moment someone had said to him that the Bounty has out of port, long before the boat sank. But that is not your main point and I guess you have a good question even if the answer is evident for one that had worked on a strong corporatist profession that grants to an individual a great dose of freedom.

That happens with teachers where each teacher is a kind of king in his own classroom, specially in what concerns public schools. There are among them obviously teachers that are unsuited to teach and that are with its unsuitability provoking involuntary prejudice on students.

During 35 years of activity as a teacher I have found many teachers that had serious authority/relationship problems and were unsuitable to teach and I only knew of two cases of teachers that have been retired from given classes and in those two cases we are not talking about authority problems but acute psychologically problems, a soft word to say that their head really did not work in a normal way and even so it took a particularly strong school direction to take the measure: They have been done classes in that state for 10 years or more.

You would say why have not the other teachers acted? Well maybe for the same reason the other Tall Ship Captains did not acted even if I am sure that many would consider Wallbridge a bit irresponsible and too adventurous to be a captain of a Tall Ship. When you have a profession where a great autonomy is granted to you you will have a strong inhibition to interfere with the realm of authority of pairs and if you do that without a very very strong reason you would be strongly criticized by all others. If a pair can question the authority, competence and judgement of another pair, than they could question your own. That's why this kind of professions are so closed and so corporate.

It would be needed a really strong case to have Captains questioning openly and clearly one of them. For instance, if Wallbridge had survived that disaster I am sure he would be put in question by them, as it is now, but it is needed a strong evident case to provoke a reaction against one of the pairs in a strong corporatist profession. It is like that and it has nothing to do with particular individuals.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook