SailNet Community - View Single Post - Halyards to cockpit?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Halyards to cockpit?

Having talked in the chat room I feel compelled to make a fuller answer.

It's a matter really of budget and space. You can always just let your sheets go and flog until you can get to them.
Without knowing your specific deck layout I can't tell if you'll need deck organizers to redirect lines around your cabin top/hatch.

A jib downhaul only needs to be 1/4 line, a block and jammer. Run it back through stanchion bases, or blocks on the stanchion base.

On a 27 foot the added friction of running a main halyard aft doesn't put enough load on the line to prevent a fast hoist hand over hand. You can always sway it tighter once you are set on a steady course.
Rather than a jam cleat I'd suggest a clutch for the stopper- it gives more control. Garhauer makes a triple clutch unit in stainless for about 130 bucks IIRC (it's not listed, you have to call). They ain't pretty, they ain't light, but they are strong and they work. They also sell a 3x deck organizer for about 60.
Get both of those and 3 turning blocks that will fit you mast step and you've got all you need to run a reef line, main halyard and jib halyard to the cockpit. Turning block cost and size depend on line size, but a 40 mm from Garhauer is about 25 bucks, shackle included. 300 bucks is nothing for the added control and safety.

Putting in a reef on a small boat without leaving the cockpit is also a simple matter of a block and jammer/clutch. Put a turning block at the base of the mast, run a line through it to the cringle on the main that you'd normally hook at the mast.
Drop the main halyard (which presupposes it's run aft) to a set, marked point, then pull the reef line down tight. It'll hold.

Lazyjacks (a must) and a couple reef straps and you are done.