SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ready To Go Back In?
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 02-26-2013
TakeFive

Re: Ready To Go Back In?

After two years my Pettit Vivid has worn off in several large areas, so it's time to redo the entire bottom. I see these great recommendations for Ultima SR60 and am tempted to switch. But I have a couple of questions:

With a 25 foot boat I'd like to paint it myself like I did 2 years ago. What are the issues that make Ultima SR60 difficult for DIY jobs? Is it just that you need to hand-stir it more often? (I can deal with that.) Or does it settle so fast that you need special equipment to keep it continually mixed. I have a couple mixers that work with electric drills, but that's a BAD idea (ka-boom!!!). I don't have any air-driven mixers (which would be needed for flammable paints). So it's important to know whether hand mixing can keep the copper suspended.

Also, I hear that SR60 is more effective because it's softer and sloughs off faster. Thanks to the river's tidal currents, my boat's SOW is 2 knots, almost 24 hours a day while sitting in the slip. Will these currents slough off the SR60 too quickly?

I've been generally happy with Vivid in my fresh river water, but looking ahead I hope to be spending more time cruising into saltier areas, so might want something a little stronger.

I also know that once I go to a soft ablative, I can't easily go back to a harder coating, so want to make sure to do this right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
PO of 1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
Take Five is SOLD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome