SailNet Community - View Single Post - Halyards to cockpit?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Halyards to cockpit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
The problem with running halyards to the cockpit is that eventually you'll need to go to the mast sometime when the main is not coming down on its own, then you'll start tugging on the main and the halyard line will get tangled in the cockpit, so you'll have to run back to the cockpit to untangle, then back to the mast to tug on the main....

I agree with the KISS comment.
Funny never had this problem. You have to have a smooth well taken care of track and maintain it, but thats normal part of inspoecting and taking care of your boat. The only time I ever have to realy go to the mast is at the dock to take the sail cover off, and it pretty safe there

I single hand a lot also and have everything run into the cockpit. Why you may ask, I figure the least amount of times that I have to go out of the cockpit up on the coach roof the safer I am.

Chuck described the set up on my boat almost to a T with the turning blocks connected to the mast collar. To raise the main I just step around the wheel. My main halyard is led back to a ST 2 speed winch under the dodger ( free and clear) and it is quite easy to hoist the full battened main almost 3/4 way up without the winch. When finished I coil and place the looped line in and organizer. Safe and out of the way. Both reefs can be accomplished from the cockpit. I also have EZ Jacks...better than Lazy Jacks in that you can pull them out of the way to the mast when not using them, and I have the additon of being able to deploy them from the cockpit which you cant do with Lazy Jacks.

When dropping the main, first deploy the EZ Jacjs and then simply release the halyard from the self tailing winch and line stopper. It falls and flakes right in the boom. I dont do the sail ties till i dock.

Lazy Jack System - EZ-JAX

I am willing to go out singlehanded in all types of wind conditions knowing that I will be safe and not have to leave the cockpit to raise, lower or reef the main.

Its also easier when you have guests who know zero on the boat.

It costs a little money to set it up that way, but once you do its a snap to be able to control a 35 footer yourself without worryimng about getting knowck off the boat in 20 knot winds and 5 ft chop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook