SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making a living as a liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

slax is on a distinguished road
Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsanda View Post
You must be a developer? I have a tester who worked for me from his sailboat in Marina Del Rey. As a test manager that was the same as someone working overseas, in the sense there was a VPN and a need to have a local data store for him to execute scripts against.
DevOPS here so code as infrastructure is the name of the game... We still maintain our own DC so I for the moment have to be within a reasonable response time for escalated sites issues, but the DC is in SF so anywhere nearby can be within a reasonable amount of time..

Trying to make the break to full time remote, but kinda like it where I am so waiting it out and staying local for the moment.

I like the idea of a remote team sudo complete with all the needed skill-sets to bid on jobs as a team, been slowly working on growing my contact list of people with a proven track record in there roles while working remote. And have been able to bring several of them on for either placement or gigs needing specific skills. Again keeping an eye to the future, and whatever possibilities arise.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook