SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ready To Go Back In?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
After two years my Pettit Vivid has worn off in several large areas, so it's time to redo the entire bottom. I see these great recommendations for Ultima SR60 and am tempted to switch. But I have a couple of questions:

With a 25 foot boat I'd like to paint it myself like I did 2 years ago. What are the issues that make Ultima SR60 difficult for DIY jobs? Is it just that you need to hand-stir it more often? (I can deal with that.) Or does it settle so fast that you need special equipment to keep it continually mixed. I have a couple mixers that work with electric drills, but that's a BAD idea (ka-boom!!!). I don't have any air-driven mixers (which would be needed for flammable paints). So it's important to know whether hand mixing can keep the copper suspended.

Also, I hear that SR60 is more effective because it's softer and sloughs off faster. Thanks to the river's tidal currents, my boat's SOW is ±2 knots, almost 24 hours a day while sitting in the slip. Will these currents slough off the SR60 too quickly?

I've been generally happy with Vivid in my fresh river water, but looking ahead I hope to be spending more time cruising into saltier areas, so might want something a little stronger.

I also know that once I go to a soft ablative, I can't easily go back to a harder coating, so want to make sure to do this right.
The Ultima60 needs to be stirred a lot thats all. You should only put small amounts at a time in the roll pan.

In you situation I am not sure I would use the Ultima60 or 40 because of the current which is constant and swift where you dock. Do you ever have a diver go under the boat or do you? How much time will you spend in real salt water docked? Whats your boat look like when you take her out of the water every year before its pressure washed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook