SailNet Community - View Single Post - Halyards to cockpit?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Halyards to cockpit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg
The problem with running halyards to the cockpit is that eventually you'll need to go to the mast sometime when the main is not coming down on its own, then you'll start tugging on the main and the halyard line will get tangled in the cockpit, so you'll have to run back to the cockpit to untangle, then back to the mast to tug on the main....

I agree with the KISS comment.
Funny never had this problem. You have to have a smooth well taken care of track and maintain it, but thats normal part of inspoecting and taking care of your boat. The only time I ever have to realy go to the mast is at the dock to take the sail cover off, and it pretty safe there

I single hand a lot also and have everything run into the cockpit. Why you may ask, I figure the least amount of times that I have to go out of the cockpit up on the coach roof the safer I am.
My experience has been quite the opposite... I know such a system can be made to work reasonably well - and someday I hope to sail with Jeff H on his boat, as I know he's put such a setup to very good effect... but pretty much every time I get on a delivery of a larger boat with the main halyard led aft, I know I'm in for multiple trips to and from the mast to deal with the snags caberg alludes to, if I'm singlehanding...

The worst case senario, is when a high-modulus rope like T-900 is used for the main halyard, in conjunction with an electric winch and rope clutches for all the crap that's led aft... Such rope will quickly acquire a set that is virtually impossible to pull back through a clutch from forward without hockling and kinking... On more than one boat, I've found the easiest thing to do when lowering the main singlehanded, was to simply toss the whole mess of halyard tail over the stern, let it trail out and unwind that way...

As I said, I'm sure it can be done - but in my observation/experience, it sure isn't being done well very frequently...

In addition, on boats with dodgers overhead canvas, I hate having to hoist the main without being able to easily watch it all the way up, that can be a real invitation to trouble... People putting the halyard on a self-tailing electric winch, and pressing the button without having a clear view of the mast, that can be a recipe for disaster...

Finally, I really don't like the idea of compromising the watertight integrity of a dodger or doghouse, but cutting holes in the leading edge for the passage of lines aft... In heavy weather, it can be shocking how much water can be admitted into what otherwise might stay a relatively dry area...

So, have I mentioned I really don't like lines led aft to the cockpit on most boats? (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-26-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook